Veterans Benefits: Frequently Asked Questions

Spread the love

How do I apply for veterans benefits?

To file for the veterans benefits, you can:

  • Apply online – You can file for benefits online at eBenefits by using the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP).
  • Mail or deliver your application in-person – You can complete VA Form 21-526 and mail or take your application to your local Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regional office.
  • Call to request an application – You also can apply by calling the VA at (800) 827-1000 and requesting that an application form be mailed to you.

What information do I need when applying for veterans benefits? When applying for veterans disability benefits, the Department of Veterans Affairs requires that you document the following in your application:

  • Dependency records (marriage certificates and children’s birth certificates)
  • Discharge and separation papers (DD-214 or equivalent)
  • Employment history (W-2s, pay stubs.)
  • Medical evidence supporting your disability (doctor and hospital records)

Our Connecticut veteran’s benefits lawyers can help you collect and review the documentation you need to apply.

What benefits are available to veterans?

As a veteran, a veteran’s survivor, or a veteran’s dependent, you may be eligible for a variety of veteran’s disability benefits, including:

  • Compensation
  • Pension
  • Health Care
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Education & Training
  • Home Loans
  • Life Insurance
  • Dependents & Survivors
  • Burial
  • Employment Rehabilitation

How do I get veterans benefits?

To get veterans benefits, you must meet the VA’s strict guidelines for eligibility. The VA will consider you or your family members as qualified recipients of veteran’s disability if you are a:

  • Veteran – As a veteran, you may be eligible for compensation, pension, or other benefits if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under any condition other than dishonorable conditions.
  • Veteran’s dependent – Your spouse, former spouse (if they haven’t remarried), children, and parents may be eligible to receive certain veteran’s benefits.
  • Veteran’s survivor – The surviving spouse, children, or parents of a deceased veteran may be eligible for survivor benefits, which include burial benefits, death pensions, death gratuity payments, dependency and indemnity compensation, and other dependent’s benefits.

Why should I file an appeal?

No matter why you were denied by the VA, you have the right to request
the Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA) review the decision on your claim.
You can file an appeal for any reason.

However, most people file an appeal because they were either:

  • Denied benefits for disabilities they believe began during service
  • They believe their disabilities are more severe than the VA rated them

Our Connecticut veteran’s benefits attorneys at our law firm can help you prepare your appeal. We have more than 25 years of experience to our name.

Call Carter Mario Injury Lawyers today for more information.